Tap Room Draught Asset Acquisitions

As a business, we generally like to let the quality, consistency and diversity of our beers do the talking as we go about being an active member of the beer community. To us, being part of this community includes things like collaborating on beers with 3rd party brands, partnering with like-minded brands who need a brewing home and sales platform to grow from, JC offering brewing advice to anybody who seeks it, and, as a business, offering advice on matters outside of brewing where asked and where we feel we can add value. It is in this spirit that we have hosted events like Good Beer Vibes, designed to showcase all the breweries who attended, where the brewers are given an opportunity to host a private tasting and, in so doing, give the consumer insight into their beers and brand philosophy.

All of this while making sure, above all, that we are brewing great quality beer that delivers on consistency, taste and affordability. The final element to the equation is making sure that our beers are widely available. It is with this in mind that we concluded the purchasing of The Tap Room’s draught assets a week ago.

There have been a few posts about this purchase this weekend, and we thought it best to share our side.

I am going to try and keep it short, as I know attention spans are shorter, especially on a Monday.

We had more draught equipment in the trade prior to the purchase than what we have bought from The Tap Room. On the draught assets prior to The Tap Room purchase, we have less than 60% of our own or partner brands on tap. The remaining 40% of these lines are therefore supporting the broader beer community which we are very comfortable with, and we will be continuing with this approach with the new Tap Room assets.

The most important piece – what is really central to all of this – is the customer. The customer was, is and will always be King to us. They are the lifeblood of the beer business (if anything other than a brewpub is your business model).

We are comfortable with the fact that we will never be, nor want to be, in a position where we dictate to the customer what beer goes on our taps. Yes, we will make sure that the customer is gaining value out of all the beers on the lines. We will offer up our views on the right product mix. If a beer is moving too slowly, which means the customer is not making money (and there is a chance that the beer is not going to taste as fresh as it should) then we will work with the customer to change that. In this, it is critical that the customer is happy, and that we are safeguarding the quality of the beer being poured through our draught equipment.

It doesn’t take too many ‘less than fresh’ beers at a higher price point to swing the customer back to drinking the big boy’s beers.

Additionally, based on the draught asset list we have received, there are 7 craft breweries (outside of Devil’s Peak, Jack Black and Darling) who have more than 5 lines on The Tap Room draught equipment. We plan on working with all of these breweries and the customer to find the best solution moving forward.

We appreciate the value of having a strong beer community, and we will continue to collaborate with, support through brewing and sales partnerships, offer advice to and create platforms for the shared purpose of putting beer back on its pedestal.

Cheers,

Russell Boltman